Wednesday, October 24, 2007

a few things

Sorry for the gap between updates! So, things have been just moving along. Not much has been going on on the home front. The other day I helped but mostly watched one of my host sisters cook. She gutted and scaled the fish, saved some of the guts, fried the fish and a pounded ( I pounded) mixture of onions, garlic, and lots of black pepper along with these things we fried about a cup and a half of tomato paste in oil, and then of course we fried the vegetables (a finger size eggplant, small sweet potatoes (they are white here, and not like yams) and there was a small chunck of yellow pumpkin type squash that had a hard dark green rind on it. Yes, everything is fried. When they fry, the oil is extremely hot, and when she put the fish in the oil the fish's skin immediately split like artfully and purposily done slashes, and the eyes popped out. While we were sitting there she gave me two of the fish insides that she fried. I took a bite and it just tasted like the general fried food, but when I looked inside there were all these tiny white balls, and so I tried to find out from them what is was.... from what I gather, it was the eggsack.....yum......... Last night, when Andy wasn't home, Fatou M. came over with homework, and then Jalicka came and hung out, and then Lamin came (just to tag along!) , I think that they may feel more comfortable coming to hang out with me at the house when Andy is not there because he is a man! Anyhow, I tried to help with homework, and thats when Fatou M. asked me if I had novels, well, do I ever! I have been averaging 2 days to per novel! So I gave her one by Maya Angelou to borrow (I tried to find one without anything riskay and one she might find interesting). I was excited in here interest, because they don't have too many literary sources around here , (practically none actually, I haven't seen a book yet!) , except maybe the text books (really just phamplets) for school. I hope she likes it, and then comes back for more! If I get one person to love reading here it would be a great accomplishment. :) Well, I think thats it for now. Hope you are all well, and you haven't dropped off the face of the earth, (come on people write!)

No comments: