Monday, October 15, 2007

A few funny stories

So after I left the college after doing that last blog post, I went to the market to get a few things...... and a funny thing happened on the way home....I had stopped by and got some eggs and four mangoes. I put the mangoes in my basket on my bike and the eggs in my purse ( I'm not that confident in my bike basket!) and strapped my bag across my chest. I hopped on my bike, navigated through the craziness of the market and as I was turning onto the main road by the lumberyard, I was thinking to myself what a very nice, blue sky day it was. I saw a little ways in front of me a run away d0onkey and his cart on the side of the main road that we turn off of to go home. As I came along side it on my bike I looked around to see if there was anyone chasing after this runaway donkey, but people were just going about their business. I assumed that it was one of the many donkeys with cart that line up beside the street by the lumberyard and impatiently waited to be loaded up. As I was on the right of the donkey ( on the street side) a small boy came with his bike right up in front of the donkey. Well, .. I guess the donkey didn't really want to trample over this boy so he made an immediate right into the street and into me! still in full motion, draggin his cart, it knocked me on my left side and unbalanced me from my bike. Because my basket is not so secure, it tipped and my binders and my mangoes were splayed out onto the street. Ok, just to take a moment to reiterate... I GOT RUN OVER BY A DONKEY! Even now, writing it, I am laughing at the situation out loud! So, Two little boys very nicely helped me put my things back into my basket all the while saying, "ohhhh.. sorry, sorry" As soon as they were finished helping me they got to chasing that donkey that had crossed the street after running into me in front of on-coming cars. This whole scene (which must have been just as hilarious to onlookers) took probably about 2 minutes and I was stunned but laughing when I turned onto our neighborhood street off the main road. When I relayed the story to Andy it was one of those situations where I was laughing so hard, it was hard to get the story out! So, ... there it is, for public embarrassment, that I'm sure I will never live down! To add to it, for the next couple of days, on the suggestion of Andy, I couldn't get "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" song out of my head, somehow relating it to my situation of getting run over by a donkey! hehehehe.
A Few Other Random Short Stories:
"Talo" Our host father brought us these fruits. It is a strange green fruit. Actually it has a hard brown shell that you peel off and inside there is bright grass green flesh and a pit in its center. The fruit has a texture of sweet tarts and it actually has the flavor of grass! And little bits of veins or roots from the fruit get stuck in your teeth. It is a very unusual fruit, but I liked it!
Molado and Baby:
Molado is a little girl about 3 or 4 that just moved in about a month ago in our compound (Andy is putting pictures on the blog now, and there is a couple of her, she is the one getting her hair braided by our host mom and the one in the cream outfit on our porch). She is sooo cute, and energetic, she is great fun. Well, the other day Molado was sitting in front of her porch (2 spaces down from ours) naked, sitting on her little port-o-potty seat, when Adama her bouncing baby sister kept crawling to Molado and pushing her on her back while she was on the potty. So, Molado picked up her potty, while still holding it to her bottom, and scooted it a few scoots forward. Well, Adama is a very determined baby and has been known to crawl across the hard, dirt compound to her mom or some other interesting thing all the way across the compound. So she kept at it with Molado and Molado kept scooting , until she ended up in frontof our porch!" It was such a funny scene to just be sitting on the front porch looking at it.
"Sam"
Sam is the resident (or rather one of the resident) large geckos (he currenlty measures about 5 or 6 inches long ) He lives in one of the wood panel boards that has come ajar on our porch ceiling. Every night while we sit out on the porch, Sam comes out, doing his "Mission Impossible" scene by crawling expertly across the ceiling and snatching up with precision a tasty bug dinner.
"Porch Bugs"
So, the other night while Andy and I were in the kitchen we heard this extremely loud bug noise out in the porch. When I got up to investigate and looked out the window I saw Sanussi (our host father) coming towards the house. So, I went outside and he proceeded to chase this humongous flying bug around our porch with our straw broom. After going around the porch catching it under the broom a few times, (but it did not want to die easily) Andy came out and so I'm standing off to the front of the porch watching these two large guys chase this bug around the porch, one with a short straw broom in his hand, and the other trying to smack it with a bright yellow "smiley face" Frisbee. It was hilarious!

Well, I fear that after all that, I don't have much energy to put into a description of our holiday weekend, but maybe Andy will, and I'm sure I will add something later to it!

No comments: