Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Headache

So yesterday was a fairly stressful day at work, endless meetings in very hot, un-air-conditioned rooms, lack of food and water and who knows what else contributed to yet another migraine. These seem to have been happening more frequently, but as with everything, especially here in Africa, there are many factors that could possibly be contributors. Each time I get one I find myself trying to figure out exactly what could have been the contributor this time, but of course it is virtually impossible given that it could be any number of subtle nuances in everyday life that it is just a frustrating, fruitless pursuit. The abundance of "Maggi" cubes (used in just about everything you eat in great amounts here due to lack of other abundant spices in the local markets) is one factor that cannot be discounted because they are basically MSG cubes used like bouillon in like I said, everything! Another would be the diet changes, heat, hormones, etc. I have started to chart them on the calendar, because it is ultimately annoying that every so often you get these headaches that completely dessicate your day. I immediately came home yesterday took a shower, ate, then went into the room and laid down. Then I decided that last time I had one it seemed to help to sit up and not let all the blood go to my head, so I alternated between laying down and sitting up in bed. But the rest of the day and night, until I sleep it off over night, is gone. But I have to say that I don't know which is better, not having been sick from the usual illnesses you expect when you come here to Africa, (knock on wood) OR having migraines. ???? Anyhow, today I'm back at the college for another meeting and then tomorrow classes are supposed to start, however unofficially, because it is (from what I gather) basically just a "meet and greet" type of thing. Nothing to worry about if you knew what you were teaching and where, but that isn't the case for me! Lately I have been thinking the Gambian people must be the most patient people on earth! hehehehe :) Hope you are all well!
Lydia

No comments: