Friday, November 2, 2007

November! November!?

Wow, its already November! Halloween flew by with barely a nod from us, I was so busy with work, that I almost completely forgot. The college work has been keeping me busy, and I am still trying to keep up with the nursery school, so that gives me a full schedule now. Grading, planning, prepping, observing, etc. Wheeww. I will be glad for a little break come Thanksgiving time. There will be a dinner for Peace Corps in the city, I think we might go. I am here at the PC office today, got up this morning and rode over, to spend all day on the computer for work stuff. I am beat, and still have to go to the grocery store here, and then off course chase after a van and hope that I get one back home! Tomorrow will be nice to have a little time to relax. Lately I haven't been able to write in my journal or draw but I hope to tomorrow. I went with the nursery school to the "zoo" (really just a few animals in cages) the other day. I thought I was just taggin along, but right before we left, I got somehow squeezed into leading a class! But it went ok. Thursdays classes at the college ( I have two on that day, four hours) went pretty well, but I have yet to look at the students papers for that day, so who knows. I always get the most random questions from them! Andy, myself, and one of our host brothers rode our bikes to the beach last Saturday, it was sooo hot! But the beach was beautiful, deserted, and then we went to another section and saw the fisherman pulling in their large boats. They chanted as they all heaved and hoed the boats in. There was a woman with a child in a small blue plastic tub at the edge of the ocean giving him a bath,.. it would have been such a cute picture, but I couldn't get my camera out fast enough! After we rode home (its about an hours ride each way) we got showered and went to a friends going away party. It was being thrown by a Gambian, and there were drummers there and a leader dancing around and with a whistle. She had amazing energy and was just jumping around and dancing, it was crazy, she had sweat dripping off her because it was so hot. Speaking of being hot the last volunteer in our house left a thermometer in our kitchen window, and we just assumed that it was broken because it stayed on 80 degrees the whole wet season, and then all of the sudden the other day I look over and it was at 100 degrees. We think what had happened was, like many other things, it got stuck with the extreme humidity during the wet season. Random things began to work a bit better now that its dry, like our salt shaker, matches, etc. Well, I better head off, and start my decent back towards Brikama. Hope all is well! Write me :)
Lydia

No comments: