Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Wheeeww!

So, its been a busy last few days. This past Saturday I went to the nursery school I am working with and we spent from 9:30 to about 5 working on materials for the classroom. We made a large calendar out of local materials, we made a stoplight behavior system, we put up rules for the class, rearranged the class, came up with a new schedule, talked about curriculum, etc! It was a lot of work, but I'm sure it will pay off. Yesterday I had three classes at the college. They were all 2 hours each, so it was a very long day. When I finally got home at 6:30 or so, I was very tired physically, and my throat hurt from talking for so long in the hot dry day. It is also difficult to keep up your reserve of water, because you don't want to drink in front of anyone here, because they are all fasting (so I had to sneak a couple of sips!) The classes went pretty well, I think that it is going to be a great learning experience for myself, and the students in my class. I refuse to just stand there and lecture at them for 2 hours, so it is a big change for them. The age is a lot different for me, and a lot of my students are older than me. Today, I didn't have college classes, but I spend the whole day helping the teacher at the nursery school go through her new class, and class systems with the children. I will be there for her the first couple of days, then she will try it on her own on Thursday, and tell me what went wrong on Friday when I go back to help iron out wrinkles. The first day went fairly well, though I was disturbed by the teacher in the other room that I could hear. There were times in the day where she would say, "everyone, laugh at him" (after a boy did something everyone was directed to laugh at him!) as well as "shame him" (The students are told to "shame him" and so they say in unison to this child, "shame shame shame, shame on you!" ) Keep in mind that these children are just 3 and 4 years old in that class! Anyhow! Enough work talk.
The end of the week on Saturday or Sunday will signal the end of Ramadan, and the start of the feasting! Our family helped up get new outfits, like they had. Andy got a mid length Kaftan (I think that is how to say it!) Which is like a tunic, with pants. And I went around with one of my host sisters and our host mom and picked out some cloth for a new outfit that is being sewn for me. It is pretty cool how you can do that so easily here! I wish I had some people's measurments to get them things made here! They have sooo many kinds of materials, and patterns, colors to choose from. I do have to say that going and picking out the cloth was a very overwhelming experience, like everytime I have gone to get cloth. The sellers will just bombard you with questions, and ask which one you want right when you walk in! It is very difficult just to look and compare colors, price, and maybe go and see if you like something better somewhere else.
Lately it has been very hot with no relief. It looks like dry season is here, so that hasn't been any rain for about a week. Everyone tells us that we just have to make it through about end of November/December, and we will be good, because then it actually gets a little cool. I am excited about that! We actually live in the lap of luxury because we have a fan that we point on our bed at night to help us sleep.
Well, I think that is all for now, I have to do some computer work to help organize myself looking after 5 classes of about 50+ students in each class! Not to mention that, in any given class, there are usually about 4 or 5 students by the same name! (same last and first!).
Well, Send me a line!
Lydia

No comments: