Sunday, September 23, 2007

Lazy Sunday

So, my high hopes for lunch yesterday were slightly shattered as I realized that my stomach did not agree with the oatmeal I ate in the morning. As a show of support I decided I would still get up and eat my breakfast with Andy early in the am, and then we of course went back to bed. When I woke up, my stomach wasn't feeling so good, and so after drinking some gatoraid (thanks parents) and eating a cracker, I fell asleep on the bed. I felt ok after that, but did not get to have any lunch on my first day off fasting, save for the cracker. I was feeling well by evening, and ate dinner. Dinner was chicken, fresh from the compound :) When I was laying down, I heard a lot of squawking and the kids running around. Andy went outside to check it out, and came back a little while later stating, "no more chicken!" I'll miss that brown and white speckled one. .......
Last night while we were sitting on our porch playing cards there came a big black beetle, being mesmerized by our exposed bulb on the porch ceiling. It was so funny to watch, because it was so big and clumsy. It would start from the ground, kind of waddle around, stop, flutter its wings out at its sides, and then slowly start to lift from the ground. After swaying unsteadily between the confines of the porch on its way to the light, it would inexplicably slam into the side of the wall and land of the floor. This happened over and over again, and it was so funny I couldn't concentrate on the game (and thats the only reason Andy beat me!) Even after Andy swatted it out of the porch, it came back full force, only to slam into the wall and slide to the floor again. At one point the beetle was exploring the front of the doorway, and started dragging across its face and along its body a long string of dust clump. It was traveling the crease of the wall and the porch floor blindly, and it just looked so funny!
Well, there is not much going on today, Andy and I came to the college today to get some work done, I want to have some things prepared for my meeting with my counterpart tomorrow. And I also prepped some information for the nursery school. I want to start the ball rolling on our jibita "refrigerator" today if we can. The jibitas are clay pots that people put water in and it keeps it cool. The idea around the jibita refrigerator is that you have a small jibita and a bigger one that the small jibita will fit in. The space between the two jibitas is filled with sand and wet down with water. The evaporation that occurs keeps the things in the small, internal jibita cool, things like vegetables, etc, to keep them fresh longer. The larger, outer jibita has to be specially ordered, so we will have to go down to the pottery guy and talk to him about it.
A couple of nights this week, (including last night) we have been woken up with the intense winds and rain. We scrabbled to shut the blue metal shutters that cover the windows, but it is hard to get back to sleep because of the howling. But I am thankful that it rained because we had the buckets out and we got the water we needed to do wash today without having to extra trips to the tap. We had a few things lately show up with mold . Things like our baseball hats, and backpacks, so we had to wash those. Well, I guess that is about it for now, not too much to write about at the moment. Hope all is well!

No comments: