Friday, September 21, 2007

Glad its Friday!

Man, I'm glad its Friday! For several reasons! For one, today, I have decided, through much deliberation I assure you (I've been going back and forth for days now), that it will be my last day of fasting. :( I am pretty proud of myself for having done it for a good solid week though.
I have been visiting a nursery school in a village about 20 minute ride from here, and have found that I severely lack the necessary energy to put into that and my other projects. Next week I think I will finally meet the other teacher that I will be working with at the college, and in a week the college term will open, so there has been lots of prep work going on there. I just don't think I can teach with zero energy!
I am also glad that its Friday because I get a break from a hectic week, I have gone to the nursery school about three days this week, and I think I have my work cut out for me there! It is going to be a long (and probably painful) process for everyone involved! Like everyone warned, it looks like I will swing from being totally and inescapably bored, to being extremely busy, with little in between. OH, another reason, that I will admit to myself and you, for ending the fasting is because I finally got the birthday package from the parents, and those skittles and beef jerky have been screaming at me from the box! I can admit openly that the last four packs of skittles thoughtfully sent by my brother was devoured in less than 72 hours (wheeew got that off that my chest!) To the same person, I owe a giant debt of gratitude for the going away present of Nutella, which was probably the only thing that kept me sane during village training. Andy would find me in the back room of our hut, huddled on the metal food truck, stuffing my face with Nutella on pretty much anything I could find, crackers, bread, my finger...after a bad day.
While I am on the concept of food, (which is ever present with me especially on fast) I was considering some things that I missed the other day while I was pondering in the hammock trying to shut out the mosquitoes by pulling it closed around my body. I never realized that I would, out of the blue, have a craving for pork products, something that it seems is impossible to come by here. Mmm bacon! Also, another hard to get item is cheese, of any sort. If you go to Sera Kunda you can find it, but I can't buy any because of lack of refrigeration. Grated Parmesan would be heaven sent because it doesn't have to be refrigerated, and because of course i am a Parmesan lover (one of those people at Olive Garden that just says,'keep coming, keep coming, uh, you might need to go get some more...' when they offer fresh grated Parmesan), but I cannot locate it in the grocery store! (believe me I've searched!)
Another thing explicable missing is brown sugar, who would have thought! Man, I am such a 'foodie'! The other day, I made some good balsamic salad dressing from olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, and salt and lots of black pepper. We had a crazy occurrence that inspired that dressing...... ...we got.... a salad to break fast from our family! It was delicious. :) I also think that making minestrone soup will be in the future, because I have been eying ingredients here in the market. Well, all of these things are just a part of moving to Africa I guess, and will be, along with the Wendy's fries, still be there in America in abundance when we get back in a few years!
Andy and I were discussing the fact that it seems to be going by pretty fast already, and we aren't even in the full swing of things! We were also discussing the fact that someone-one of you out there-needs to come visit us, and you will be staying in relative luxury at our house, with electricity, a bamboo bed, a stove, and a very close tap :) So, start your planning, and gather up your courage, (not like you need any!) and get on a plane over here! It will be an experience of a lifetime.
Ok, I think I'm done rambling for now, I gotta walk home and then chill out a bit, before maybe hitting the market, because tomorrow... I am going to eat lunch! Woweeee!

No comments: