Thursday, November 17, 2011

No Gifts!

The onslaught has begun. The Christmas stuff is everywhere in the stores. But I happily cruise on by the aisles filled with ornaments and fake trees and other adornments for the season. I choose not to have a tree and therefore free myself from all the other accoutrements. This is an easy decision that can be carried through easily because it does not usually involve other people. (i.e. people don't buy each other Christmas trees for Christmas) I can't tell you how free I felt walking past the aisles knowing I don't need that and all I did to change that "need" was make a simple independent choice.
Now the problem. I can't seem to convince people to stop giving gifts for Christmas! I would just like to be able to enjoy being together without the gifts. I would rather spend time and energy cooking, eating, and doing activities together without any attachment to gift giving.
The only concession I could give in to would be to have a "homemade" only gift giving exchange. But then again, you might just get something really awful that you Really don't need!
The one thing we do need is a "new" car. Maybe I could post a "donate now!" button on my blog so, if people really feel the need to give me something they can give to the goal of buying a newer car instead.

No comments: