Sunday, May 18, 2008

On-the-job

Today, I was thinking about (I know, I know, there I go thinking again) how being here has really put me "on the job" 24/7. Taking the teaching profession in general you become aware that you have to behave a certain way, even when your off the job, because, who knows, you may run into a student and his mother at the grocery store.... and if your the kind to wear daisy dukes, it might be a little awkward.
Here, I feel I am on the job ever waking hour, (and some I get woken up for!) But, unlike the above example scenario, I actually feel the calling to teach at any given moment. This happens because in the course of our daily travels we encounter people we may educate on American culture, the English language, etc. At work, I teach teachers, watch teachers, teach children, and so on. As soon as I get home I come in throw my bags down and there are children immediately at the door (if they haven't gotten to me walking through the compound already) And because I love my job and kids, I take the opportunity because I feel it is limited to do some form of educating.
It may get tiring, and there are times when I will make a cup of tea, sit down with my latest read and ignore them for 30 minutes, but even then in the back of my mind is the fact that we only have such limited time here in these kids lives.
Well, admitedly I am particularly attached to our host family children, especially our smallest host brother Mo Lamin. When I think about leaving him my heart sinks. And even though I try to equate it to teaching a new group of kids every year, it is apparent to me that we are a lot closer than I have gotten with any of those kids. Coming upon our year mark has propelled me into the future of when we will be done with our service here. It will undoubtly be more difficult to leave this place than it was to leave America, not because we love the place or people any more, but because we won't be the postive loving force in their lives, but mostly because we will probably never see them again. When I think of that last statement, I always start brainstorming ways to keep them in our lives, setting up scholarships for the kids to go to school, having them come visit us in America, and least of all calling them on the phone. And all of these thoughts bring me back to the present and the fact that I have to use ever opportunity to teach them something and, of course, for me to learn from them.

No comments: