Friday, January 11, 2008

TGIF-Thank Gambia It's Friday

On Fridays in the Gambia people mostly cut out early because Friday prayer is at 2 o'clock.... so schools are only half days, and a lot of businesses are closed... sometimes that's nice because for those of us that don't go to the mosque we sometimes get out of work earlier . :)
So, classes at the college were scheduled to start this week.... But..... being that it is Gambia, no one really had classes I think... except for me! :) Well, Tuesday I went for the one class I was scheduled to have, but of course, ... should have known,... that no one would be there. Wednesday I had two classes scheduled, one in the morning, and one in the late afternoon... I think I caught some students unaware that were here to register, by having classes that first class, but of course in the afternoon no one came. This morning, I had two remaining classes back to back and I had fairly good attendance in the first and minimal in the second.... The problem is that the students have to come register in person, and there are always long lines, and problems, so, no one ends up really holding classes that first week.. Well, being the type A-(for American!) that I am,.. I just get a little confused about when exactly we are supposed to start if it's not when it says on the schedule...... Other than the minimal attendance, the classes went really well, so hopefully the influx of students next class won't change that.
Well, Andy and I have recently received many packages from you generous and caring people in the states. We really do appreciate those nice little treats from home, even though I am afraid that because we have so many treats that I will start to balloon up! hehe..
Yesterday, I didn't have classes at the college so I went to the nursery school early, then caught another gelley to keep on going to the peace corps office. Once there, I did some internet stuff, grabbed some more reading material, found our packages in the mailroom (!) and then hung around until Andy came into town. We were meeting a volunteer and her friend that came to visit from America. So we went to dinner and came back fairly late for us, catching a gelley after a little wait at around 9. When we got home (I hadn't been home since 7:30 am) it was about 10 and we still had to take our bucket baths (brrrr cold!) so it was nice to make tea after and open some Christmas gifts. Cozy Cozy.. It's so funny, because now we have a thermometer and can really see that we are cold when it is literally 70 degrees, because our bodies have adjust so much to being at about 100+
Well, I think that's about it for now, ... I have some random projects planned for this weekend... I want to try my hand at cooking some more things in the solar cooker (I think maybe beans this weekend), make some more tortillas (this time we will triple the recipe! Because they never seem to last long!) I really like finding things to make from scratch in the solar cooker.. I am looking for simple recipes for things I can find in the market to make, like breads, beans, etc., (only problem is lack of spices) so if you have a good simple recipe let me know!
I got some parsley seeds and want to plant them (though, I'm not sure about where they will be able to get sun because we don't have a back yard... or place that is protected from goats that we could put it out in) and maybe visit some local areas and volunteers.
Well, Andy has put up some more pictures recently of bee keeping activities, so make sure to keep checking it out.
Have a nice weekend,.. hope to hear from you!

No comments: