Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sorry for the wait

Ok, so I have slacked a little on the blog writing, but I've really been busy, plus, I think people take the information for granted! Like, they get to hear all about what I'm doing, but I never hear from them! hehe Anyhow, classes at the college are going well, though the spring term is notoriously slack and short. I am doing my best to make it work, and help the student learn as much as they can in the time we have. The nursery school work is going very well too, I feel I am making progress with the teachers, we are getting more organized, and making plans.
The weather has been warming up, (not all too slowly either, one day it's cool during the day, the next it was hot!) But we are looking forward to rain (and mango season) after this extended period of hot and dry.
I recently made a trip up to a place in the Central river region of the country to visit a friend. She lives on an island called Janjanbureh. It's a cool place, it was my first time traveling up there, so Andy and I went together across the ferry from Banjul (the capital) and stayed a night together in a place on the north bank called Farafenni to visit our friend Josiah. We had a good time there together on Friday night, and then on Saturday morning, I went on further up country to Janjanbureh while Andy stayed another night in Farafenni.
Janjanbureh was nice, it was exciting to see the other parts of the country, hang out with Blair and other volunteers.
The trip there and back had the typical travel folleys that your encounter here; flat tire, police checkpoint hassles (not with me, but with locals if they don't have id), very slow and scarry ferry boats, car drivers that tell you they are going one place, and then stop at an earlier destination so you have to switch cars or find another car, etc. But traveling here in the country, even through all the challenges is ok, even for women traveling alone, especially if you can speak the local language, because people will always make sure you are going to the right place, paying the right amount, etc.
Another thing about traveling here is that at most points there is always fantastic street food to grab on the go. The reason I think it is fantastic is because it is what you would usually consider health food. While sitting on a gelley waiting for it to fill up with passengers to go, you can call a guy over to get some cocounut, oranges, peanuts, a slice or watermelon, fruit icees, etc. It is great, and you don't have that after Wendy's sick feeling when you are road-tripping and you grab something from the drive-through. I wish traveling in the US was like that in that you could grab real "fast food" from fruit and veggies vendors everywhere.
Thank you again to all those who have sent us packages for the holiday and otherwise! We appreciate it.
I don't have much else to write about right now, but questions are always welcomed from you to help me along in explaining our time here.

No comments: