Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Fudaano


On Monday, the day before Tobaski I got something called “fudaano” done on my hands. It is kind of like henna. It was a day long process. It was decided (without me really) that I should do it during the day on Monday, even though people usually do it before they go to bed before the night. But the following day was Tobaski and everyone would be too busy to help. So at around 11 I ran to go to the pit latrine not knowing when I would have my hands available next to go. Then they took the roll of medical tape they sell specifically for this process and laid out strips of it on a plate. They then proceeded very laboriously to cut small strips with a flimsy, one dalasi razor blade. After they would get one strip cut it was applied around my fingers, about four or five strips were spaced apart starting from my fingertips and going back. Jalika started out doing this, then Adja took over, and Njemmeh our neighbor and the young boys watched.
After both hands were done they usually will tape some kind of design on the palm, but after attempting it with star stickers (wouldn’t stick) then the tape (still wouldn’t stick, hands too sweaty!!) we did a quick star pattern on the back of my hands. After that was all done it was time to apply the fudaano, which is some sort of small tree leaves, dried then pounded. This is mixed with water and made into a paste consistency. Then it was applied on top of the tape around the fingers and on the backs of my hands They also did a traditional splotch on my palm requiring no tape. It is sort of like covering your hands in thick strange smelling mud. After Ndea applied it she took strips of plastic bags and covered up the fudaano, tying it around my fingers and hand. Each finger was separately tied, but then a whole plastic bag was put over my hands and tied to my wrists. Immediately my hands started to sweat even more and then they asked me if I had any socks. So I had to lead Jalika into our bedroom (usually off limits) and have her rummage through my underwear and sock bag to find a pair. These were fitted over my plastic bag hands and then suddenly I was all alone.
Andy was out at work and as soon as they were finished the place was quiet. All I could do was sit or lay down. I had to make it until five o-clock and was counting down the hours. But of course, me being me, mid way through I had to use the pit latrine. Well, I won’t go into details, but lets just say it was freakin hilarious for Andy and I. When Andy had come home I was just laying face up on the bed in the front room with my hands up in socks looking like a sad burn victim. Adding to my helpless feeling was the thought that it wasn’t even over after this part was finished. After lunch I was finally able to fall asleep to pass the time and at around five o’clock Jalika came tearing across the compound to get me. Then Ndea and Jalika and other bystanders unwrapped me and flung off most of the paste. Next was some small mysterious bagged substance which was mixed with water making it into a grey smelly mixture. It was of course then applied to the parts of my hands that had fudaano on it. I was happy and relieved to find out that I only had to keep this on for an hour or so and I could keep my hands unwrapped. This was so much better that I had thought. I had misinterpreted and thought that this second application would have to stay on over night. When we finally washed it off my hands were wrinkly and pasty white and the parts with the fudaano were a lovely red color. Cool. I immediately had ideas for designs for the next time and am excited to try it again, only this time over night. Later on the same night I did get a chance to practice on someone else when Jalika came over looking for the tape. Andy suggested we use duct tape and I cut it into strips and quickly did one of her hands with finger stripes. Then I cut more strips and made a cool (if I say so myself) sun design on her palm. The next morning she showed me and it looked good! Well, it will eventually wear off and then we will get to do it all over again, but this time I will be more mentally and physically prepared for the process! After we come back from Guinea we will post a ton of pictures! Promise :)

No comments: