Saturday, October 11, 2008

Mold glorious mold!

It sounds like this might be a tribute to that wonderful taste experience called cheese, but it is far from it…
This mold is the kind that has fairly rapidly invaded the household and which has overrun the surface of everything from leather bags, sandals, shoes, necklaces, even a wood mortar. In some cases the variety is white but in others it is a ghoulish green but in all instances is does an amazingly thorough job of encompassing the object. On my incense scented “jelly” (it is like a necklace for your waist women wear here) it went from being brown to a rainforest floor green.

The take over has even crept into my dreams. Last night I dreamt of Andy and I wandering around the house finding mold at every turn, and then not so mysteriously getting deathly ill from it. I specifically remember saying, “Andy it’s the mold, it’s killing us!” Now that’s just scary.
Now to shift slightly. Let’s talk about Fungus. Specifically, people fungus. The wet season creates such an environment where being dry (which in terms of bodies, I mean not sweaty) is something that never happens. And because of this my upper shoulder and back have been plagued by fungus. As it is right now, the transition to dry season is probably the worst time, because you still have the humidity hanging around along with blaring sun, but no relief in the form of rain, and the dry winds have not come yet. Even with an array of antifungal products, creams, powders, etc., it does not keep it at bay. In fact I think it is a lost cause, until dry season comes, or I move.
This may be one reason why many PCV’s from here move to someplace cold and dry afterwards. This is exactly what we are planning to do!

No comments: