Thursday, March 20, 2008

And it all disappears... almost

Well, yesterday, when I set out to the the rant and rave on the blog, I set out with the intention of mentioning one thing at then end, but of course, forgot it, once I got started on the downhill slope.
After all the venting, I meant to write that all of the below situations will happen on your way home, and you will turn in to your street, and run into a family member, and boom! All of those annoying things will somewhat dissapate for the time being, because they knnnooowww your name is not "toubab" and they can ask you where your going, what you did, with genuine interest. You can have a genuine exchange. After these "breath of fresh air encounters", you sometimes walk a few steps and immediately get toubabed again, but hey, it gives you a little breather.
Another thing that the family redeems is if I'm sitting out on the street with my host mom, and someone tries to be like, " hey, who is this toubab here?" in Mandinka, she will tell them what's up, she'll say things like, she's not a toubab her name is Borry, and why don't you ask her? Which is great. :)

No comments: